Hand Tool Q&A Live: Shoulder Planes, Lathes, and Tool Cabinets
Live Hand Tool Q&A
Thanks to everyone who came out and asked questions. Its always a lot of fun. Mostly I get questions about tools so I’m still waiting on someone to ask about a technique so I can actually do some woodworking in these events instead of just talking the whole time! I guess we all love tools right?
Lots of topics covered in this session from types of chisels, to tool chests, to pole lathes, and shoulder planes. I even spent some time talking about my experience working at a living history museum.
The Questions You Asked
- 1:00 What I’m working on now in my shop
- 7:05 How big can a panel be before warping is an issue?
- 11:40 Halfback Saws
- 15:20 What Screwdrivers do you use?
- 16:00 Have you used a spring pole lathe?
- 19:12 How did you come up with the slope of the Perch seat
- 24:40 Tool chest vs tool cabinet?
- 29:14 Socket chisels vs tang chisels?
- 35:20 What is working at a living history museum like?
- 42:20 Where to find good chisels larger than 1″?
- 45:25 What is a Firmer chisel?
- 48:08 Used a Hovarter vise?
- 50:10 Spill planes?
- 54:45 Use for a Skew Block plane?
- 59:40 Advice on a small shop bench set up?
- 1:07:06 Dust collection for the hand tool shop?
- 1:10:00 Is space isn’t an issue how big would you make your workbench?
- 1:13:29 Budget clamp recommendations?
- 1:18:50 Most useful router plane blade size?
- 1:20:22 Which size shoulder plane do I need?